Friday, April 15, 2005

Gift of love

I have been trying to come up with a Mother's Day gift for my mother. No, a knitted item would not be appreciated by her. She doesn't even understand why I like to knit. She thinks that I am wasting my time and I could be more productive doing something else. And there isn't really anything she needs.

My mom LOVES jewelry, with a capital L. The woman just can not get enough of it. So, being that I am a jeweler, I thought I would make her jewelry. She is always saying that I don't make her anything or that it takes forever before she gets something. Back in high school, my father was against me going to art school, but my mom was on my side and convinced my dad to let me apply. So, I have always appreciated her emotional support for all those years.

I have heard that semi-precious stones have all sorts of healing powers and brings certain luck to the wearer if worn next to the skin. You have to have the stone touching your skin. Rubies are suppose to bring wealth and money. That would the perfect stone for my mother. The Chinese loves anything that brings wealth or health. I decided to make her a ruby bracelet. I chose small round ruby beads and used 18k gold to wrap the beads and then to make the gold clasp. After that, I polished the gold with rouge to bring out the gold shine. I love how it came out and I am very proud of it. It is a gift of love. Handmade by me, with meaning/love behind it. And it is also going to be given to her on time! (I am the queen of procrastination and have been that way all my life, so she will be impressed.)



No comments: