Monday, February 14, 2011

Secret Santa Gift - Woven Scarf

Mica's Scarf
Secret Santa in February? Yes, you read that correctly. For the last 3 years, my knitting group organizes a Secret Santa Exchange. We always exchange our gifts after the holidays. We figure that with holiday stress gift knitting, having the exchange after the holidays takes the pressure off. Plus, it's a lot of fun to get a gift after the holidays, too. Normally, the holiday party happens around January, but this year we had to postpone it to February. Fine by me, since that gave me extra time to work on my gift.
Mica's Scarf
My recipient, Mica, wrote that her favorite colors were fuchsia, green and black. I looked through my collection of sock yarn and pulled out 2 skeins of Universal Yarn Ditto. It was different shades of pink with black mixed in. Initially, I thought it was a variegated sock yarn. As I wove with it, I saw that it was a self-patterning sock yarn. You can see the neat pattern the yarn was making in the first photo above. I also added big blocks of black stripes with Lisa Souza Sock! Merino. I used the black on the warp, too, but I couldn't see much of a difference. The only place that you can really see it is on the fringe. Oh well, that is just part of experimenting. You never know what you are going to get.
Mica's Scarf
After soaking and drying, the yarn bloomed and gave the scarf a nice drape. The scarf is light yet really warm. I am still amazed each time I take a project off the loom. Weaving makes such beautiful fabric.
Mica's Scarf
The details:
2 skeins of Universal Yarn Ditto, 440 yards total.
Lisa Souza Sock! Merino, 178 yards total.
Finished size: 7.5” wide. 62” long without fringe, 70” long with fringe.

90 ends + 8 ends(selvage)= 98 ends (49 crosses)
10 dent heddle
3 yard warp

20 comments:

hetty said...

I have just got to take up weaving! Your scarf is beautiful! And it looks particularly cute on Melody!

Sayschnicklefritz said...

Another winner! You may convert me to a weaving fan yet.

Anonymous said...

oh my god, I couldn't agree with 'Hetty' any more...this scarf is beautiful and makes me desperatly learn how to weave ....

CelticCastOn said...

Lovely Scarf. Melody has the cutest smile, makes me grin!

LaBean said...

The scarf is lovely! I love when yarns soften after washing. My experiences with woven wool scarves has never been good. I guess they were all made of crappy yarn. I'm sure your recipient will love it!

opportunityknits said...

oh wow, another beautiful woven scarf. And so fast! Of course the scarf looks extra pretty on your model. Does she never have a bad hair day or anything like that? She always looks so adorable!!! And that smile of hers, I love it!

Erin Joy said...

Gorgeous! Presents in February is a great idea.

Miss Julep said...

WOW! that is amazing! And what a cool idea' waiting until the rush is over for your swap. What a nice winter pick-me-up!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Just a beautiful scarf! And I like your lovely model, too. ;)

caiming said...

love the scarf! but, the "model" more!

Sue said...

The scarf looks wonderful! Your little model is just perfect too!

Karin said...

How wonderful! I had no idea you're a weaver, too. Would you mind talking about what loom you have, or point me to a post that does? Thanks!!!!!

Jennie said...

Oh it's so beautiful, totally love it!!!
Now I'm wondering if my mum kept my mini loom I got when I was a kid :)

nova said...

Adorable (and the scarf is nice too)!

nova said...

Adorable (and the scarf is nice too)!

renee said...

There you go again, making me jealous of the loom... ;-)
I would also like to know what kind of loom you have.

kim said...

How cute it she! And your recipient is so lucky to get that.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful scarf! All your woven projects look so professional!

emicat said...

Oh I love that scarf! Your weaving posts are reallllly tempting me in getting a loom :) Dangerous!

rohanknitter said...

That turned out so nicely!! I'll bet the recipient was thrilled!