Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Warm Up with Blankets

Stash Busting Blanket
The first signs of Fall had me scurrying for my blankets. Unfortunately, I think I may have been over zealous in my Spring cleaning this year. Lots of things were donated to charity or simply thrown out. So, I quickly dug through my large collection of worsted weight yarns to put together a scrap blanket. This was inspired by a knitted blanket I saw on Ravelry. I am crocheting my own version. It will be done in the style of a coin quilt. I am plan on making 4 strips of colored stripes and then bordered all in white. The edging will be decided when the blanket is assembled.
Lavender Diamonds- WIP
After the successful blanket that I made with a hand loom, I immediately started another one. This one is done with a 4" x 6" Weavette. I chose to do a diamond pattern for the rectangles. I let it languish over the Summer, but I pulled it back out again. I just need 8 more rectangles before I can start seaming them together.

Speaking of blankets, I received some news from Potter Craft this evening. They have signed on with Warm Up America! to collect knitted squares that will be made into blankets for people in need. Potter Craft is hosting a Knitting Block By Block-a-Thon. The first 25 people who send in their blocks will get a copy of Nicky’s book. The next 25 will receive another free pattern. All the info and address can be found here.

To help out, Potter Craft is offering two free block patterns from Nicky Epstein’s new book, Knitting Block by Block. (Click on the pictures to get to their Flickr page so the pattern can be enlarged.) I hope many of you will participate in this worthy cause. I have my yarn and needles ready!
Happy Heart Cord Block

Chucka Chain Block

11 comments:

kim said...

I can't wait to see the blankets all assembled.

Anne-Marie said...

I love the woven blanket! What a neat project. One of my next personal weaving projects will be a blanket. If I ever get out from under the mountain of scarves.... :-)

Debbie T said...

I'm with kim, I can't wait to see the blankets done!! I should be doing the same, but gift knitting has me bogged down a bit right now.

Sayschnicklefritz said...

The only blanket I've ever made for myself is packed away in storage now and I'm missing it like mad.

Looking forward to seeing these as FOs.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I haven't seen that idea, but I LIKE it - coin crocheting. That is going to be a seriously pretty blanket!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sue said...

They both look wonderful. Hopefully you can finish them both in time to keep you warm!

LittleCanoe said...

Awesome blanket. And thanks for the info! Hope you stay warm over yonder, it's supposed to get down to 16 degrees tonight here.

Maya said...

i love knitting blankets : ) im excited to see yours come together : )

hetty said...

I really like the Chinese Coin one. Such a great idea to use up scraps.

Tawana said...

They both look wonderful, and i love the ide of a crocheted coin blanket, as for the hand loom. Your made me finally bite the bullet and I orded a Hazel rose set :-D

Corrie said...

what a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! coin blanket, I love it!

corrie:)