Friday, March 20, 2009

Mirabilis, the spiral blanket.

I can knit way faster than I can blog, so I am still catching up on blogging about Finished Objects. Little Melody consumes all my time and energy these days. She is like the Energizer Bunny that you see on the TV commercials. On our last trip to Boston, DH's family got to see her in action. And they commented on how she never sat still for more than 2 seconds.This blanket was completed in January and it was a test knit for Daniel of Molting Yeti. He let me choose any of his patterns and I chose this spiral baby blanket called Mirabilis. As you know, I have a thing for blankets. I think that his baby blankets are quite unique and eye catching. None of those standard squares or rectangles.The blanket begins in the center with DPN's. I have to say that I had trouble with the cast on. It's called Casting on in the Middle and it was something I have never done before. The main problem was that I would almost finish the cast on and lose half the stitches because they slipped off. He has a very good tutorial on how to do it, so it wasn't for the lack of instructions. It was just very fiddly and awkward in the beginning.The great thing is that it is pretty much smooth sailing after the set up rows. You just keep knitting the spiral until it is big enough.Look how pretty it is! I chose not to block it because I loved the natural ruffle between the stockinette portions and the lace. It's very organic that way.And the border for the blanket was quite neat. There is no need to bind off because the border is knit separately and attached along the way to the live stitches of blanket.Here is the Energizer Bunny showing the scale of the blanket. This was the best picture that I could get of her with the blanket. Every shot was blurry because she was in constant motion.

In case you are wondering, this blanket is NOT for her. It's going to be saved for a future baby gift. I didn't give it to my niece, Mei Mei, because her mother likes girly colors. I had asked her while she was pregnant and she said, "Any girly colors like pink is fine." So, I rather save this for someone who would love orange.

Pattern: Mirabilis Baby Blanket by Molting Yeti. Also available on Ravelry.
Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease, 2.25 skeins = 443.3 yards of the color, Gold.
Needles: US 9 / 5.5 mm

34 comments:

c.Rachel said...

That is one cool pattern!
Coolness factor just doubled with Melody on the blanket. =) [she sooo adorable!]

The cast on does look difficult. Wonderful workmanship as usual!

Have a great start to your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on my little baby booties. Now, this blanket is soooo unique, I haven't seen anything quite like it! I love the color, I love the pattern and yes, the unblocked ruffled edge is very pretty. I must go check out this pattern and others this designer had done. Great job!

Jennie said...

Love the blanket, Orange is my mum's favourite colour.
Melody looks so cute in her heart outfit =)

Sue said...

The blanket looks wonderful, and more like honeycomb color on my screen. Your daughter looks so cute in those adorable pj's too.

flanthrower said...

Gorgeous blanket! I think it was a great decision not to block it. It's lovely with a little ruffle.

Natalie said...

Now THIS is a beautiful blanket! And I know what you mean about having an energizer bunny around. (Except I have an energizer dog that won't sit still for pictures). I think Melody kinda likes this blanket..you might have to keep it!

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh, I really really like this one because it's so unique! And the orange is a beautiful color.

LittleCanoe said...

So pretty, I love the color. I want a sweater out of that yarn!
Of course, Melody looks cute as ever!

Anonymous said...

What a fun project, thanks for sharing the process!

Rebekah said...

This blanket is so cool! Thanks for sharing project shots of the construction...that is so helpful to understand how it comes together. I love that you left it unblocked...it looks so cute with all of the ruffles

hetty said...

Nice blanket! I've never seen one done like that. The colour is great and I love the ruffles! Melody is the cutest little energizer bunny I have ever seen!

Jodie said...

I love the last shot of the little energizer bunny on the blanket.... Great job on the blanket, I think it looks better not blocked too...

Take Care
Jodie :)

Daniel Yuhas said...

oh my gosh your awesome skills make it look so great! (the energizer bunny helps too, of course!) thanks again for testing!

Jackie said...

from the 1st look,i tot is a hat...LOL. i didnt know blankie can knit this way ! Nice work.

Give a hug to our adorable "energizer bunny" please.

nova said...

Every now and then, I have to remind myself that I don't knit blankets. Your daughter is so adorable!!

rohanknitter said...

That does look like a tricky start, but the blanket is really neat!

Anonymous said...

That blanket is beautiful! So much so that I saw it on your blog and had to have it. The color is great too. I really want to cast on now. But I already have 2 blankets going. 3 would be to much! Lol...

Knitterella said...

Whoa! That is too cool. I love it! Great photos too. The 'energizer bunny' is looking sweeter than ever!

Thanks for the link :)

Anonymous said...

That is a great blanket - I love the color, and it is so different! I have trouble with the cast ons like that as well - I always loose the stitches...

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Reminds me of something I'd see at the seashore.

p.s. Slow down, Melody, it's going by too quickly :o)

Rachel said...

This blanket is beautiful, such a unique pattern!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so beautiful. I wish I had that kind of patience, but lately I've hardly had the focus to knit or crochet at all.

Ivy@PaperElixir said...

This is so stinking cute!! Love the color and ripply edge (sorry I don't know knitting lingo :() Even though you said she moves constantly she looks like such a perfect model :)

Anonymous said...

What an unusual blanket! It reminds me of the hyperbolic dishcloth. Nice!
me@salihan.com

Stephanie said...

What an awesome blanket! Whoever winds up with it is lucky indeed :)

Rima said...

Ooooh! The blanket turned out just super! The design is really nice.

Christy T said...

Ooo... that looks really interesting!

Corrie said...

ohhh so unusual! I love it! love the edges too!

very cool!

Corrie:)

Agnes said...

It's such a cute blanket! Maybe I should make this for my friend. :)

Sam said...

It is beautiful - great colour and unique design. The future recipient will be very lucky indeed.

Amanda Jean said...

your little energizer bunny sure is adorable! :)

Anonymous said...

It is so beautiful!

Jackie said...

Hey there,

Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day...enjoys !

Unknown said...

Amazing post, Thank you for presenting a wide variety of information that is very interesting to see in this artikle
tour karimunjawa

paket wisata karimunjawa

tour karimunjawa

wisata karimunjawa

paket wisata karimunjawa

paket wisata karimunjawa

paket wisata karimunjawa

paket wisata karimunjawa

paket karimunjawa tour

wisata karimunjawa

paket karimunjawa

wisata karimunjawa

karimun jawa

paket tour karimunjawa

wisata karimunjawa

wisata karimunjawa murah

harga tanah karimunjawa

jual pulau karimunjawa


Link Anyar
toko mebel jati

kursi jati murah

toko furniture anak

set tempat tidur

sofa ruang tamu

toko furniture murah

meja makan jati

set sofa ruang tamu

toko mebel jepara online

toko jati jepara

paket tour karimunjawa

tenun jepara

kain tenun ikat

sangkar burung ukir

tenun ikat troso