Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Meeting Mei Mei (Celina)

We just got back from our trip to Boston. I honestly hate road trips these days because it's so hard to travel with a baby. I still can't get use to calling her a toddler. I have a toddler who is very active and doesn't like to be strapped in and sitting in a car for 4 plus hours. Did I mention she doesn't like sleeping in a car? Luckily this trip went much smoother than the Christmas Trip that took over 8 hours in the snow storm. She was really good on this trip which lessened the stress levels. Most of the credit should go to Sesame Street and a portable DVD Player.The reason for this trip was to meet our niece, Celina. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law's (DH's brother) new baby girl arrived last month and they were celebrating her One Month. They call her Mei Mei, which means little sister in Mandarin. This is the second marriage for them both and my brother-in-law (DH's brother) already has a 11 yr old son and my new sister-in-law has a 11 yr old daughter in Taiwan. So, Celina is truly a little sister. Since we all speak Cantonese except for my sister-in-law, we would call her Mui Mui. But I have been trying to learn a few words in Mandarin.
Of course, I had to make a handmade gift for the little one. This is my 3rd time making the Quickie (5 Hour) Baby Sweater. I can't imagine making it in 5 hours and I am not a slow knitter. I did a variation on it to keep myself from getting bored. I omitted the lacey eyelet portion of the yoke and just made what the instructions called the Boy Version.I really love how this version looks. I also did garter stitch for the sleeve cuffs and the hem of the body instead of the ribbing. This can all be done in the round by putting the sleeve stitches on some scrap yarn and finishing the body first. Then go back to knit the sleeves withDPN's , seamless. On the night before I was leaving, I realized I didn't have the right color or right sized buttons for the cardigan. What's a girl to do at 11pm at night? I crocheted the buttons! It worked like a charm and it looks really cute, too.To add some interest to the knitting and some decoration, I added a heart on each side of the sweater fronts. Part of her Chinese name is the word, Heart, so I thought it was appropriate.Here she is wearing it at her One Month celebration dinner. It's too big, but my sister-in-law insisted on dressing her in everything I gave her, including the white outfit underneath.

Pattern: Quickie (5 Hour) Baby Sweater (free pattern)
Yarn: 174 yds of Lion Brand Vanna's Choice in Dusty Rose
Needles: US 10½ / 6.5 mm
Mods: Knit the whole sweater in the round and used the boy version increases. Garter stitches for the sleeves and body hem. Made 2 button holes and crocheted the buttons using this tutorial. Added a heart motif on the fronts of the sweater.

33 comments:

jenny said...

that last picture of her modeling the sweater is great! so cute.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Celina.... she is beautiful :) and what a special sweater!

Sue said...

She is just so beautiful. She looks super cute in the sweater too. I have read a few other bloggers havent been able to knit that sweater in 5 hours either.

Wendy said...

She is just heartbreakingly adorable!!

Darling sweater too, but no project can compete with baby it's made for.

Jackie said...

Mei Mei is a beauty, please send my congratulations to your BIL and his wife.

you a such a sweet "ah yi" (auntie) to knit that cute sweater for her.

Cindy said...

Mei Mei is so cute, just like her cousin, Melody! Love that 5 hour sweater!

LadyTr0uble said...

Mui Mui is so adorable in your sweater; 5 hours?! You're amazing!

flanthrower said...

What a darling little girl and sweater!

Jodie said...

What a gorgeous baby!!! I love the cardi you made for her, your version of this pattern is gorgeous with the hearts on the front...

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear this trip went a little smoother! Mui Mui is adorable in the beautiful sweater!

CynCyn said...

A baby who won't sleep in the car! (Gasp!) I still have a reflex when I sit in the backseat... zzzzzzzz...

Congrats on the newest addition! Mei Mei is adorable and we share part of our name (Xin)!

hetty said...

A beautiful baby and a cute little sweater! The hearts are a nice addition. I am impressed that you didn't let something like no buttons stop you. Very creative!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the sweater is so precious. I might have to give this pattern a try, and I like your version with the hearts. Thanks for the kind comment on my latest baby F.O. Isn't it fun to make baby things? :)

c.Rachel said...

Lovely sweater and I love all the personal touches you put on it. Specially with the hearts and her name. Such treasures for your bil and sil to have...the sweater and beautiful new baby.

Oh, your crochet button...genius!

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Love the sweater!

Anonymous said...

Aw, another adorable baby and beautiful sweater! :)

Jennie said...

Too Cute!!!

Unknown said...

How cute! I'm a mei mei too!

LittleCanoe said...

I love that last picture of her in the sweater! So cute with her head popping out of those rolls of pink. Congratulations, it's beautiful!

Christy T said...

So stinking cute!!! Love the little hearts!!!

Agnes said...

Another beautiful baby!

Anonymous said...

That baby is *adorable*. And you knit the sweetest baby things.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That is a beautiful sweater for a really pretty baby! And I could work on it for years and never finish it. :) You do such beautiful work!

Corrie said...

oh so cute! your family makes very cute babies! I love the 5 hour sweater pattern....I found it from your blog and just love it! never takes me 5 hours and who has 5 hours to sit straight and just knit it...that would be nice!!!!!

love that colour and she's a sweetie!

well done aunty!

Corrie:)

Anonymous said...

What an adorable baby and an adorable sweater!

Rebekah said...

What a lovely sweater and an adorable baby! I love that you added a heart to the sweater to match her name :)

Amanda Jean said...

so so cute!!! the baby and the sweater. :)

Knitterella said...

Oh my goodness, so sweet! And so sweet in your sweater - love that pic :)

Sam said...

How precious! Cute little sweater too :)

Anonymous said...

The sweater is beautiful, and so is the baby :)

Anonymous said...

Mei Mei is so cute! And that cardigan too. You do your baby knits so well :)

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Oiyi, Sorry I don't have your email address and the link on your page doesn't work for me. Of course you can make the cinnamon rolls without a machine! Just mix the ingredients in the order given. Stir really well and add more flour if needed to form a somewhat sticky, but still workable dough, let rise for an hour, then complete as in the recipe.
Enjoy! Elaine

Joanna said...

妹妹非常可愛。And so is the sweater. Nice job!!!