Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My First Mittens

The Peekaboo Mittens are the best mittens. They are quick and easy to knit up and I have never made mittens before. I love my fingerless mitts, but it has been so cold here that I can't use them. I have a pair of mittens, but I always have to take them off to open the door, to grab my keys, or to swipe my subway card. These mittens work really well. I just bend my fingers and out pops my fingers. This pair is a birthday gift for a friend at the end of the month. I also have a pair of fingerless mitts that is part of the present, but it's not finished yet.I made these mittens shorter because my friend's hand is small. I used my own hand as a gauge since my hands are also small. I followed the directions until the Mitten Top. I only knit 2 rows and then I started the decreases. The total length of the mitten is 8 inches. And of course the thumb is shorter. I knit about 7 rows and then decreased. These are so easy to modify to your size. The cuff is a 2 x 2 rib. I have already casted on for a pair for myself.

Thank you to everyone for wishing Caesar a Happy Birthday. He got a nice birthday dinner (grilled some meat and mixed it into his kibble) that he shared with Napoleon, a new rubber toy, a haircut (by me) and a bath (by DH).

Pattern: Peekaboo by Pensive Frog
Yarn: Lamb's Pride Worsted (1 skein) Color: Autumn Harvest M-22
Needles: Boye Balene II US 7/4.5mm DPN's

8 comments:

Amy said...

These are ingenious and super cute! I really love the color. Did your little guys enjoy Caesar's birthday dinner?

Kristy said...

That's a great pattern, and I really like the happy orange yarn!

Anonymous said...

Great mittens!

Stephanie said...

those mittens look fantastic - I love how cheery the yarn is!

Megan said...

Those are so great! Thanks for sharing the details of your modifications - I love to see how people are making little tweaks to make the pattern perfect for their needs.

Anonymous said...

Cute!! Love the color! Let's see...I've made only one pair of mittens - - they're fun.

Danielle said...

I like those mittens alot. I usually only wear gloves because I want to use my fingers. I also make mittens shorter for myself and my sister and mother, because we all have small hands.

Anonymous said...

These mittens are absolutely perfect - warmer than fingerless ones, but yet as comfortable as fingerless ones are - yes, that's perfect! And I adore the orange colour ;)