Friday, February 25, 2005

Welcome Home

I have been away for a long time. My mother, husband and I traveled to Hong Kong, Japan and China. And what a trip that was! I am so glad to be home in my own bed and surroundings.

I brought a knitting project along and was surprised that it didn't get confiscated by the airport police. We flew out of Newark airport(New Jersey)because Continental has a direct flight to Hong Kong. 15 hours!!! So, I risked it and brought my knitting on board in my carry-on. I had heard that Japan was very cold this time of year(Actually, they have similar weather to ours here in New York), so I wanted to have a new scarf to wear, but couldn't finish it before I left for my trip.

I have never done any cable knitting before and was inspired by Fluffa and her amazing knitting skills. She had given me a couple of tutorial links on cable knitting and off I went with needles and yarn in hand. I chose to make Toddle from KNITTY, but I made it longer to fit me (the pattern is for a child's size). I love it. The scarf is warm and cushy (sorry, that's the only way I could describe it). The lattice pattern makes the scarf very thick and all you want to do is touch it and squish it. The yarn I used came from the Manhatten Yarn Riot 2 years ago. It's called Mexico Merino Superfine by Filatura Cervinia (100% Merino Wool). It's grey and it has a nubbly texture.



The actual color is more like this. I didn't use the flash on the above photos because the lattice pattern didn't show up in the picture.

No comments: