Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Crochet Accessories

Lately, everything that I am making is about the process and no product yet. I don't mind and I am really enjoying learning about the process. It's a nice break from my usual try-to-finish-a-product-as-fast-as-I-can mentality. Old habits do die hard, so I opted to make a few quick things for instant gratification. I made Melody a little beaded crochet necklace. It couldn't have been easier and you don't even need to know how to crochet. If you can make a chain with a crochet hook, you can make this.

I learned about this technique from Arnetta Kenney, a professor at F.I.T., last weekend. I took a weekend class (knitting related) with her and she showed us the necklaces that she made with this technique. They were beautiful and it inspired me to come home and try it out.I just used materials that I had at home. For Melody's necklace, I used embroidery floss and blue tiger's eye beads. I strung all the beads on first. Then with a crochet hook, make a slip knot and make a few chains. Slide a bead or it could be several beads down under the hook, and crochet some more chains. Keep repeating or it could be random. But all you have to do it make chains with a crochet hook and slide a bead on.She was so thrilled when I showed it to her after she woke up from her afternoon nap. I made it about 24 inches so she could easily slip it on and off her neck. No clasp needed.
Of course, then I had to make some for myself. It is so much fun that it can get addictive.
For this red one, I used crochet thread (Size 10) and the beads are Garnets (round) and silver and black glass seed beads (#10).This silvery sparkly one is made with metallic crochet thread and the beads are Mother of Pearl (rectangle) and Clear Quartz (round).

19 comments:

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a great idea! I love those, and Melody looks so pretty in hers.

knithound brooklyn said...

What a fabulous idea! Your daughter is soooo adorable!

caitlyn said...

Very nice necklaces!
Melody is so cute. I especially love the first photo -- she looks like she is hamming it up for the camera!

LittleCanoe said...

Oh I love the red one.! Striking.

CelticCastOn said...

simple and cute, what a great idea!
Melody is looking so grown up, not a baby anymore!

opportunityknits said...

they're so pretty!

Jennie said...

So pretty, I've been thinking of trying this, just need to buy some more beads at work. =)

Hannah said...

Those really are so beautiful, and so versatile! I love how they can easily be made as elegant accessories, or more fun, funky pieces.

I hate to be that annoying person that wants a free pattern for anything, but... Any chance you might be interested in writing a little tutorial for the rest of us? ;)

Cindy said...

Melody is so cute with her "grown up girl" necklace! What fun!

Sayschnicklefritz said...

I like the idea of light weight tonal jewelery for summer. Pretty and seasonal!

LadyTr0uble said...

I love love love the first picture of Melody; she's too cute for words. She has gotten so big -- I can't get over it.

The necklaces are a wonderful idea. I think I just might steal your idea and make some too. I should have some crystal beads hanging out at home from DIY my own phone charm days...

Rebekah said...

I am with you on the process thing lately (either that or I have a serious case of startitis :)

Love these necklaces! They look so delicate. Thanks for sharing how you made each of these.

craftivore said...

Oh my gosh, those are so pretty and elegant. I'm so tempted to try it. I didn't quite understand from your description how to do it but am sure it would make sense as soon as I got going. I would be cool to layer a whole bunch of them too.

hetty said...

Cute idea for making necklaces. Melody is cute too. She looks very grown up in her pretty necklace.

Anonymous said...

So pretty! I really like the silver necklace.

Jeanne said...

What a great idea - very pretty. Melody is really adorable - and getting so big!

Flapper Flickers + Silent Stanzas said...

I cannot thank you enough for posting this. Ever since I read it I've been raiding Mom's bead stash - these really are addictive!

Melody is growing into a lovely young lady! ^_^

kim said...

Ooh those are nice! Melody looks like such a character. So cute.

Ibifiri Kamson said...

lovely. U have an adorable daughter. I am just new to crocheting. I love your blog.
www.secretlilies.blogspot.com