Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ravelympics 2010!

I did it! I have completely ONE PAIR of socks! Sock knitting has been my nemesis for years. All the socks I have made has been one sock only, and no mates. Maybe it has something to do with the drudgery of making a pair of anything. After I finish the first one, the challenge is gone and I am bored.

My knitting group decided to start a Sock KAL/CAL (knit along or crochet along) for the month of February. I debated for the longest time on what to make. I have a large stash of sock yarn which is embarrassing for me because I don't knit socks. So, the sock yarn selection was not a problem.

I decided to use this new to me sock yarn called Stretch Socks by Patons. And I happen to have picked up the pattern booklet at Michaels when I purchased the yarn. The booklet is called Sweet to Your Feet and there are crochet and knit patterns. I decided to make the basic crochet socks.When I was 60% done with the first sock, I ripped back because it was way too loose. I needed a smaller hook size. In all honestly, I was going to call it quits. The thought of having to remake it made me cringe. But then I got roped into the Ravelympics 2010 by MacKintosh Yarns. Even though our team is not official, our individual entries are. So, I pledged that I would restart the socks during the opening ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympics and finish them by the end.

I made these 2 at a time. I started with one cuff and then made the other cuff. I kept switching back and forth as I completely each section of the sock. That really helped motivate me because the technique I just used would still be fresh in my head so I can do the other one exactly like it. These were very challenging for me and there were a few errors in the pattern I had to iron out myself. I had to frog back more than once in several occasions.I finished them last night and I was proudly wearing them around the house. They are very comfortable. And I even tried them while wearing my shoes. The sock yarn is very stretchy so it's perfect for crochet socks. Crochet socks sometimes has the reputation of not being very comfortable to wear because the fabric does not have the same stretch as knitted fabric. In this case, the yarn selection was very important.

Pattern
: Basic Crochet Socks from the pattern booklet, Sweet to Your Feet.
Hook Size: 2.5mm (I used a Japanese hook and they called it a 4/0.)
Yarn: Stretch Socks by Patons in Olive.
Size: 5/6
Mods and corrections: I will write them down on Ravelry page when I get a chance.

In the middle of working on my socks, I got distracted by the 2010 Potholder Swap. This year, they are running it through a Ravelry Group to make things easier. There is still plenty of time to join, check out the rules at the GROUP.

I don't have time to go into detail about the ones I made right now (Miss Melody has been hollering for me while I am trying to type this.). But I will put them up on Ravelry and all the details of what I did. Each of these potholders has two sides and I made them different on each side to keep things stimulating while I made them. Before I knew it, I made all 5 for the swap. And then I made myself go back to the socks.

The pattern is called Diamond Dishcloth (Ravelry link) and I made 2 sides and then crocheted a border around them to join them together. For non-Ravelry users, here is the direct pattern link. For the swap, they have to be made from 100% cotton, so I used whatever I had on hand. I even used cotton thread (Aunt Lydia's) which was very slow going, but I love the feel of the finished potholder.

16 comments:

caitlyn said...

Congratulations on completing your first pair of socks! They look awesome!
I love your potholders, too!

Rima said...

Yay for making a pair of socks. They are beautiful! You really made it happen. The potholders are real nice--great stashbuster ;)

LadyTr0uble said...

HURRAY for your first pair of socks. Congrats!!

I have the same problem as you do when it comes to anything that comes in pairs. I also have a nasty habit of tweaking patterns for my own purposes and not quite remembering what I did. Since I know this about myself, I knit them two at a time.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

You have certainly been busy! Your socks look delightfully comfortable, and I really like the potholders, too.

LittleCanoe said...

Oh dang! I REALLY need to get back to my socks, or forever accept that I am a complete failure when it comes to sock knitting. I don't want to fail! Go go go!

Anonymous said...

the socks and the potholders look fantastic! i can't believe you're already done with your potholders! i haven't even decided what to make for mine yet!

Jackie said...

hey, congratulations :) the socks and the potholders look great.

me too, the SSS always taggin along. the only way to put the tag on the shelf is to do the 2@1..LOL

btw, love your PJ - so cute !

opportunityknits said...

your crochet socks looks cute, inspiring me to get back to sock knitting :)

Sue said...

Crochet socks must be much easier to make than knitted ones as you can just leave the hook in one stitch, whereas the knitted ones have to have 4 dpns in most cases. I think they turned out great and how fantastic to do 2 at a time! Your dishcloths look fantastic and I love the colors.

Jennie said...

Yay crocheted socks =)
Loving the potholders.

Rebekah said...

congrats on finishing your first pair of socks and your ravelympics project! That wasn't so bad, was it? :)

Love the potholders...hopefully they'll have the swap next year so I can join when I have more time

kim said...

Cute socks! I feel ya on making two though. I hate making two sleeves, let alone two socks. I've not attempted them yet, but keep seeing really cute patterns.

rohanknitter said...

Love the socks AND the potholders! One of these days I've got to practice my crochet skills (which are pretty minimal) Good for you getting that second sock done!

Jeanne said...

Congrats on finishing the socks - they look beautiful and so comfy!

Love the potholders!

hetty said...

You have been busy! Congratulations on finishing a pair of crocheted socks! The look very comfortable.

renee said...

I love crocheted socks!! I have 2 pair and I wear them all the time and everywhere. I use regular sock yarn and they are a little harder to get on than knit socks, but once they're on they're so warm and comfy that it's worth it! Try a toe up pattern with an afterthought heel sometime. Much easier than any other crocheted pattern IMO. And you pretty much try them on as you work so much less ripping back to deal with.