Tuesday, June 16, 2009

All Shawl in Lichen

This pretty skein of hand dyed yarn from Pigeonroof Studios has been sitting in my stash for a long time. It was waiting for the perfect pattern to show off it's beautiful colors. This yarn is so soft and it has a nice drape.The All Shawl by Doris Chan is a pattern designed to use any yarn and any gauge. It's starts off at the neck by using Fsc (foundation single crochet). After that, it's just a matter of increasing in between the seven panels. This pattern is fast and easy with beautiful results.I made my sister model the shawl while she was visiting a few weeks ago. Although I can photograph myself, it is much easier to photograph someone else wearing it. After I made her model a few items, I pan fried her some homemade dumplings as payment. She didn't know it would take a while and was starving by the end of the photo shoot.Although I would never wear the shawl the traditional way (the above 2 photos), it does show off the edging quite nicely.In case you haven't noticed, I have been on a shawl kick lately. I never made a shawl until this year and now I can't stop. I have now realized how versatile a shawl can be. Look at the many ways it can be wrapped around your neck.And it can be flung over your shoulder just like a scarf. Just perfect!
Pattern: All Shawl (Free PDF pattern via Ravelry)
Yarn: Pigeonroof Studios Superwash Merino/Silk SILK TWIST Yarn in the color: Lichen, 400 yards of dk weight.
Hook: US J/ 6mm
Mods: Crocheted until I had 140 sts, then I started the border, omitted row 6 of border.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I want to let you all know that Melody is 100% recovered! Thanks to all of you for your well wishes. I took her to the park today and she played for 1 hour in the sun and breeze. The weather was perfect today.

28 comments:

Sue said...

The shawl is gorgeous, and the colors are some of my faves too. I am glad that Melody is feeling much better too.

Sayschnicklefritz said...

You're so spot on about shawls: worn traditionally, they seem either weirdly frumpy or as though one is trying to do a Stevie Nicks impersonation. Worn as a scarf, however, a shawl is so chic and useful! Congrats on another lovely creation. And I will model anytime if dumplings are on offer.

knithound brooklyn said...

You are right about the versatility of shawls. And they are so much fun to make! Love the colors of that yarn.

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! Yeah, I'm kind of on a shawl knitting kick right now myself (just finished one over the weekend). They're just the thing for this pseudo (not very warm) summer weather we've been having here.

Judy said...

Oh! Look at you, you made a shawl, too! We're reading each other's minds. Love the shape and stitch pattern. I have to begin another shawl soon (different pattern) for my niece's wedding gift!

Jennie said...

Gorgeous shawl, I'd love to try the pattern. It feels like it's been ages since I last crocheted anything.
Happy to hear Melody is better =)

Pixiepurls said...

oh I love that yarn! (and the shawl!)

Micki said...

Lovely shawl! You're making me want to pull out my crochet hooks.

shirley said...

Looks great! I love the colors in the yarn. You're sister's very lucky...I always promise to make things for mine and rarely follow through.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That shawl is just gorgeous! And I love all the different ways you show to use it. It works! I'm so glad Melody is back to normal. Well is good!

LittleCanoe said...

Love it!

hetty said...

Glad to hear that Melody is feeling better! I love the shawl! You make it look so easy. Your sister is a beautiful model!

Sam said...

So glad Melody is feeling beter. Your shawl is lovely, and I agree that they can really versatile. Hey, if you need another model, I'd happily take pan fried dumplings as a rewards hee hee hee :)

Hannah said...

Yet another incredibly lovely shawl... You're making me want to take up another lacy project! It's certainly been a long time since I've done something like that.

Rima said...

Lovely. That green is nice. Doris always comes up with great top down patterns. Wonder what your next shawl will be? :)

renee said...

Hmmm, never really thought about wearing a shawl around my neck like that. I rarely make them except for special high class things like weddings. I guess I always figured that wearing a shawl casually would make me feel like I was in a Jane Austen novel. But seeing your beautiful photos is making me rethink the whole shawl genre. Thanks! SO glad for you that Melody is better. I had my son, Ian, around the same time (Jan 17 2008) so I'm always interested in seeing how Melody is doing. And I feel for you on the sick thing because Ian just recently got a cold, but we weren't as lucky as you. We ALL got it, too!

Jeanne said...

Very pretty shawl - I love the color! I like wearing shawls all different ways - even the traditional!

Glad Melody is feeling better!

c.Rachel said...

Pan fried dumplings...yum. I love how food comes into play with knitting/crocheting. =)

Beautiful shawl! I'm learning new ways to wear it...great photos!

Yay!!! for Melody too!

LadyTr0uble said...

Lovely shawl! The green is such a pretty, spring color--perfect!

Ivete said...

I love it! Great matchup of yarn and pattern!

Lisa Stepi said...

That shawl is beautiful!

Kirsten said...

It's beautiful! I love all the different ways you can wear it.

Rebekah said...

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing so many different ways to wear this shawl...it helps me visualize some of the shawls I've been wanting to knit

rohanknitter said...

That turned out just beautifully - the perfect yarn and pattern combo. I like seeing all the different ways to wear it, too!
Glad to hear Melody is back to herself!

Jodie said...

OMGoodness, that shawl looks awesome!!!!
You're so amazing with your crochet. I love the way you got your sister to model it for you as I would never of thought to wear a shawl that way, just gorgeous!!!

Take Care
Jodie :)

Woolly said...

Really beautiful scarf you have here! the shade of green is nice.

nova said...

It's gorgeous. I think you picked the perfect pattern to show off the yarn.

Lissa said...

You just convinced me to make a shawl rather than a sweater for my next project, Angela. Thanks!