Sunday, February 01, 2009

Baby Knits from Christmas 2008

I am finally getting around to posting about some of the baby knits I made for last Christmas. I forgot about some of them and the others I couldn't show until they were gifted. I debated whether to do one giant post or to break them down. I chose the latter.

There was a new arrival in my family this past Summer (July), a baby girl named, Juliana. Normally, I stick to one color knitting, but I wanted to branch out this time. I am not a fan of pink, but I think it can look pretty good paired with another color. Pink and green were the colors for Juliana's blanket.
This blanket took me 2 Weeks of monogamous knitting. My fingers paid the price, but I am so thrilled with the finished blanket. I love it. If it wasn't pink, I might have been tempted to keep it for Melody.It was not as hard as I thought it would be. The colors are slipped stitched, so it's not like Fair Aisle knitting where you have to carry the yarn in the back. And there were hardly any ends to weave in because the unused color is carried up the sides. Normally, I prefer a blanket with no wrong side, but I was surprised that I didn't mind. I thought the back looked pretty interesting.And here is little Miss Melody posing on top of the blanket to give you an idea of scale and size. The mother of the baby was really impressed with the blanket when she opened it on Christmas Day.

Pattern: Chocolate Petite Fours by Deborah Robson, from Knit Along with Debbie Macomber - The Shop on Blossom Street
Needles: US 8 / 5.0 mm
Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice; 2.77 skeins = 470.9 yards in Dusty Rose and 1.66 skeins = 282.2 yards of Dusty Green
Size: 31 inches by 31 inches
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Penny's Blanket
This cheerful baby blanket was made for Penny, my friends Jen and Jason's new arrival (born in Oct). I didn't get to see them until after Christmas, so we exchanged Christmas gifts at Melody's birthday party. Yellow is the theme color they chose for her, so I made the blanket in yellow. The color came out much brighter after knitting than when it was in the ball form.
I love the cute checker board pattern that borders the blanket. And it got bonus points from me because it looks great on both sides, no wrong or right sides.
I forgot measure the final size of the blanket, but I know it's huge. If I had to estimate, I would say 40 inches by 36 inches? It took even longer to knit this one. At one point, I thought it would never end.

Pattern: Baby Blocks by Ann Norling, from Knit Along with Debbie Macomber - The Shop on Blossom Street, but this is also available for FREE from HERE.
Needles: US 9 / 5.5 mm
Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna's Choice Baby, 5 skeins of Duckie

29 comments:

Corrie said...

oh wow you are queen of the baby blankets! I love blankets because you can make a small dent in the stash! beautiful!

Corrie:)

LaBean said...

You've got guts and patience!! I look at these blankets and think, GREAT IDEA! and I know if I start one I probably will get bored and wanna bang my head on the wall. They're gorgeous! (And so is Miss Melody!)...

I love the Debbie Macomber Blossom Street series.. I believe I'm still waiting for another one due out this Summer.

Jennie said...

Love the pink & green combo, they work so well together.
Very interesting texture on the yellow blanket, it looks like woven ribbon, hmm I just got a sewing idea I need to test =)

flanthrower said...

Wow! Not one but two blankets? I admire your patience. I especially love the pink/green combo. Lots of great textures in both blankets.

Unknown said...

How lovely they both are! You are an incredibly talented and patient knitter!
~Emily

CynCyn said...

They are gorgeous! I love the one for Juliana, except for the pink thing. I hope the recipients appreciate the time, effort, and love that was put into those blankies!

opportunityknits said...

the 2 blankies are so pretty. I like the effect of the pink and green one, it's kind of special. and Ms Melody's such a sweetie too :)

Rima said...

The blankets are lovely! I remember seeing you work on the yellow one. The pink/green one is such an unusual combination--I would have never thought of pairing them up. It turned out so well!

Micki said...

What sweet baby blankies! You obviously have much patience and fortitude. :)

Sam said...

You are a good friend -- baby blankets can be quite the undertaking. Both are adorable. I love the bright yellow one especially... feels like Spring might be just around the corner!

LittleCanoe said...

I love the first blanket, I'm a real fan of that pattern. I also love Melody's bed hair! She's so cute!

Anonymous said...

Both blankets are gorgeous - I really like that the colors aren't the same old baby colors...

Kirsten said...

I really like the slipped stitch blanket. I'll have to keep that pattern in mind for the next time I need a baby gift.

Melanie is so adorable! I can't believe how much she's grown.

Anonymous said...

Wow... Those are absolute gems! If only I had the patience for knitting blankets... Yours are definitely an inspiration!

hetty said...

Oh, I love Juliana's blanket! Great colours. Penny's blanket is lovely too. You must have a tremendous amount of patience! Blankets like that are not something you can whip up in an afternoon!

Sue said...

Oh the pink and green blanket is absolutely gorgeous. I will have to find the pattern and try that one out. Melody does seem to like it too judging by her gorgeous photo. I love the yellow blanket too, very pretty pattern.

Anonymous said...

Both blankets are fabulous!

Jennifer Levesque said...

Penny has been using her blanket all the time -- thanks, Angela!

Agnes said...

I absolutely adore the first one ... it is very special and yes, the colour combo is great!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous projects!!!

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't be impressed! Lovely work as always and Miss Melody is posing so nicely!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Your knitting is just exquisite. I don't know how you can bear to part with any of it. It's good that you document it all so well. At least you'll have the memories. :)

LadyTr0uble said...

You have been one busy lady! I don't know how you do it with a baby and all. Juliana's blanket is absolutely gorgeous. And so is your Miss Melody. :)

Rebekah said...

that pink and green blanket is so adorable! What are you going to do if Melody loves the color pink? For your sake, I hope she prefers red instead :)

I really like the yellow blanket and that it's reversible. Baby blankets are so much fun to make.

Lisa Stepi said...

Those blankets are both beautiful. I especially like the pink and green combination on the first one.

Christy T said...

Love, love, love them!!! Especially the pink :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, such lovely gifts! You did an awesome job on each one. Hey, you have been nominated for a Kreative Blogger Award.. see my blog for details! :)

Anonymous said...

They are both just beautiful, you are very talented!

Duyvken said...

Ack! Adorable baby and adorable blankets. Well done!